The quality and style of this photo might indicate it’s ancient, much as my good self, like from the 1960s. But no, it’s simply a scanned version of a slide (remember those?) from the very last bits of the 20th century. I’ve been playing with a new pocket-sized scanner that promises to transform old slides […]
Recently, a friend of mine was on a plane hit by lightning. Seemed scary enough, but the pilot had quickly explained very calmly that it was nothing to worry about. A bit later the plane landed safely. Most of my stories of flying have been more funny than scary. And whenever I’m bored, I snap […]
Welcome! I'm Sophie - writer, dreamer, negotiator, wanderer, mum - in search of the world's curious places. Mostly with my daughters, sometimes solo. The girls share their take on it, too.
Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.
- Camogli, an Italian secret 7 May 2015
- Al Bastakiya: Historic Dubai and Emirati culture 17 February 2015
- Cinque Terre, Portovenere and the Poets 22 May 2015
- 11 things to do in Dubai 25 March 2015
- I found my love in Portofino 14 May 2015
- Silent Sunday: The luxurious Burj al-Arab hotel in Dubai 7 February 2016
- Silent Sunday: The rugged and beautiful beach at Batsheba in Barbados 31 January 2016
- Wintry Vilnius by Instagram 27 January 2016
- Silent Retro Sunday: Smiling girls at the market in Banjul, The Gambia 24 January 2016
- What makes us human? Thoughts on prehistoric cave art. 20 January 2016
- Linda March: Sometimes I wonder how they\'ve build this buildin...
- Anne-Sophie Redisch: Sounds exciting. Look forward to reading about it....
- The Barefoot Backpacker: Outside of Africa, there\'s Timor-Leste too; it\'s...
- The Barefoot Backpacker: It\'s a border crossing I do fully intend to trave...
- Linda March: I bet. :D How that you\'ve only spend 24 hours ...