Wandering about in tiny San Marino, the world’s oldest republic, I stumbled upon this boy with the troubled face – a monument to victims of the school siege in Beslan in 2004.
San Marino, the world’s oldest republic, has been a sovereign state since 301. The ancient capital is a UNESCO World Heritage site.
Welcome! I'm Sophie - writer, dreamer, negotiator, wanderer, mum - in search of the world's curious places. Mostly with my daughters, sometimes solo. The girls share their take on it, too.
Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.
- Atlantic Canada road trip 28 April 2016
- Underneath the river: Secret London 5 May 2016
- Maulbronn Monastery Complex 23 September 2015
- Dialogue in the Dark: blind in Hamburg 26 November 2015
- 48 hours in Hamburg 2 March 2016
- Verden på et øyeblikk: De tre slottene i Bellinzona 8 August 2016
- World at a Glance: The Bellinzona castles 8 August 2016
- 11 things I love about Almaty 6 July 2016
- Carlingford: colours, craic and leprechauns 29 June 2016
- World at a Glance: Le Locle, built for watchmakers 23 June 2016
- Chaudhry Anjum: Thanks for sharing this secret , planed trip to Lo...
- Adventure Mountain Club: What an experience!! lovely!...
- Sanjeet Veen: it was very informative and the pictures are captu...
- Brooke Andrews: Your spa day sounds amazing. I can\'t wait to try ...
- Anne-Sophie Redisch: Thanks for your kind words, Helen - and additional...