Wandering about in tiny San Marino, the world’s oldest republic, I stumbled upon this boy with the troubled face – a monument to victims of the school siege in Beslan in 2004.
San Marino, the world’s oldest republic, has been a sovereign state since 301. The ancient capital is a UNESCO World Heritage site.
Welcome! I'm Sophie - writer, dreamer, negotiator, wanderer, mum - in search of the world's curious places. Mostly with my daughters, sometimes solo. The girls share their take on it, too.
Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.
- Europe by Train 22 October 2014
- The tallest building in the world 10 February 2015
- 8 Instagrams from Arctic Sweden 13 August 2014
- Aachen Cathedral and Charlemagne’s BMI 13 June 2014
- Al Bastakiya: Historic Dubai and Emirati culture 17 February 2015
- 11 most popular Instagrams in April 2015 27 May 2015
- Silent Sunday: View of Dinas Head, Pembrokeshire, Wales 24 May 2015
- Cinque Terre, Portovenere and the Poets 22 May 2015
- #Emiratesairline Business Class Review 19 May 2015
- Silent Sunday: World War 2 hero and his bicycle in Oslo 17 May 2015
- Marcia: All beautiful, Sophie. It\'s hard for me to pick m...
- Muza-chan: Lovely place......
- Gilla: As usual your photos do your subjects plenty of ju...
- Gayla: Fabulous post! I hope we get to visit Portovenere...
- Anne-Sophie Redisch: Yes, I think the sculptor captured him very well....