It’s early evening in the village surrounding Qal’at al-Bahrain. The creatively decorated houses remind me of pictures in fairy-tales, especially through the filter of the setting sun. Five horsemen appear out of the dusk in front of the silhouette of a large 16th century Portuguese fort. This is home to Iranians, says Aziz, my guide […]
Welcome! I'm Sophie - writer, dreamer, negotiator, wanderer, mum - in search of the world's curious places. Mostly with my daughters, sometimes solo. The girls share their take on it, too.
Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.
- Europe by Train 22 October 2014
- The tallest building in the world 10 February 2015
- 8 Instagrams from Arctic Sweden 13 August 2014
- Aachen Cathedral and Charlemagne’s BMI 13 June 2014
- Al Bastakiya: Historic Dubai and Emirati culture 17 February 2015
- Silent Retro Sunday: Ciudad Este, Paraguay, 1997 19 April 2015
- UNESCO in Finland: Verla Groundwood and Board Mill 17 April 2015
- UNESCO in Finland: The old church at Petäjävesi 14 April 2015
- Silent Sunday: The tantalisingly turquoise Trasimeno 12 April 2015
- World at a Glance: Black Rocks and petroglyphs in St Kitts 7 April 2015
- Muza-chan: Lovely......
- Hans: This country intrigues me, so when I get down to S...
- Penny: The old wooden style churches of Finland and Russi...
- Noah: Gotta love places where even the industrial archit...
- Ajay: I have never been to Dubai, my cousin invited me f...
#frifotos Africa Arabia architecture Arctic Austria Balkans Blogsherpa Britain British Isles Canada Caribbean Copenhagen Cornwall Cymru Denmark Dubai Egypt England Europe France Germany India Instagram islands Italy London Middle East mountains Norway Oslo road trip South Africa Spain Sweden Switzerland the Nile travel with children travel with teens UNESCO World Heritage United Arab Emirates USA Vikings Wales world at a glance