It’s early evening in the village surrounding Qala’at al-Bahrain. The creatively decorated houses remind me of pictures in fairy-tales, especially through the filter of the setting sun. Five horsemen appear out of the dusk in front of the silhouette of a large 16th century Portuguese fort. This is home to Iranians, says Aziz, my guide [...]
Welcome! I'm Sophie - writer, dreamer, negotiator, wanderer, mum - in search of the world's curious places. Mostly with my daughters, sometimes solo. The girls share their take on it, too.
Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.
- The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe – the real Narnia 7 June 2012
- Pets, pools and pennies at the Hemingway House, Key West 14 March 2012
- Atlantic Canada: Lively Lunenburg 30 May 2012
- Canada Road Trip: Vancouver to Calgary, the Scenic Route 21 June 2012
- Cape Byron Lighthouse 19 July 2012
- World at a Glance: Green bikes – and scooters – in Amsterdam 17 May 2013
- Viva Bahia, a fabulous Majorca family hotel 15 May 2013
- Greece: A guide for history buffs 12 May 2013
- Norfolk Coast Path: horizons 10 May 2013
- The lonely convent 7 May 2013
- budget jan: The weirdest place by far was in London many years...
- Vera Marie Badertscher: Your photos do justice to the beautiful resort, an...
- Maria Alexandra @LatinAbroad: was supposed to go to Greece for a honeymoon… An...
- Andrea: Yup - baby animals always do it for me too!...
- Nancie: How gorgeous is that! Looks like a painting....
#frifotos Africa Americas Arabia architecture Arctic Austria Blogsherpa Britain British Isles Canada Caribbean Catalunya Cornwall Cymru Denmark Dubai Egypt England Europe France islands Italy Kuwait London Macedonia Middle East mountains Norway Oceania Oslo Paris Scandinavia South Pacific Spain Switzerland travel with children travel with teens Travel Writing UNESCO World Heritage United Arab Emirates USA Vienna Vikings Wales