Our 11 most popular Instagram photos last month are mostly of wintry Oslo, but not all. Here they are:
1. In Drammen, close to home, is an abandoned copper mine. Took me years to finally visit.
2. Love the blue hour in winter; this is the National Theatre in Oslo.
3. Hopping south to Berlin for a bit, here’s the ruin of Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gedächtniskirche (Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church).
4. Back in Oslo, Wenche Foss is a beloved Norwegian actress remembered here outside the National Theatre.
5. Early morning outside the University of Oslo. Looks inviting, doesn’t it?
6. People rushing to work on a winter morning in Oslo.
7. Back in Germany, we’re at Odeonplatz in Munich, site of the Hitlerputsch (attempted coup) in 1923.
8. And back in Oslo, this snowy lamp at blue hour made me think of Narnia.
9. Vaaghals is a relatively recent addition to Oslo’s restaurant scene, which will delight or challenge your taste buds with unusual flavours. How about puffed pork rinds in apple sauce? Slow-cooked veal tongue? Or grilled cucumber with seaweed? I played it safe with smoked salmon for a starter and baked plaice for mains. Delish!
10. A quick little detour to Thailand: I spotted this fishing boat off Koh Samui.
11. Finally, as a hint of things to come it turns out, this is Dubai Airport’s shiny Terminal 1. Loads more from Dubai in February, I promise.