Here, better late than never, is our monthly Instagram feature. As usual, I’ve linked to the photo on Instagram in the numbers. No less than five World Heritage sites are included this month, so let’s get on with it. Here are the 11 most popular ‘grams on Sophie’s World in May 2015.
10. Sunset from 30 000 feet through a slightly foggy plane window.
9. The magnificent Abbey at Melk, a part of Wachau Cultural Landscape along the Danube in Austria.
Number 8 is a tie between
a. this blurry photo of Semmeringbahn (the Semmering Railway), taken from the train as it speeds between Graz and Vienna…
…and b. this enchanting little cottage near Glendalough in Ireland.
7. All sorts of interesting little sculptures pop up as you stroll along the banks of the Danube in Budapest. Peter Pan here is one of my faves.
6. The city of Graz seen from the city landmark Uhrturm (clock tower).
5. Sunrise from 30 000 feet or thereabouts:
4. A new discovery in my neighbour country is Lund, Sweden’s oldest city. It’s full of narrow, cobbled streets with colourful little houses like these.
3. I’ve been flying loads lately, and like snapping through the window. Something to do. This is a birds’ eye view of Latvia, not long before landing at Riga airport.
2. And just a bit further north, this is the ancient Viru Gate in Tallinn, one of my favourite cities.
1. Finally, our most popular Instagram in May is the gorgeous library at Pannonhalma Abbey in Hungary.
City of Graz, Semmering Railway and Wachau Cultural Landscape in Austria are all UNESCO World Heritage sites. So are Budapest, including the Banks of the Danube and Millenary Benedictine Abbey of Pannonhalma in Hungary. Here are other heritage sites I’ve visited around the world.