Our 11 most popular Instagram photos last month are all from South-East Asia for a change. Let’s delve right in:
At the top of the list are two photos of Buddha – or rather, images of the Buddha, both from the ancient Thai capital Ayutthaya.
1. From Watyaichaimongkol Temple, this row of Buddhas is our best liked Instagram in December. You’re perhaps wondering about the yellow cloth? I was in Ayutthaya on King Bhumibol Adulyadej’s birthday. Birthdays are important here, and each weekday is associated with a colour. The king was born on a Monday (incidentally, so was I) thus yellow is our colour.
2. Not far from Watyaichaimongkol is Wat Mahathat, with the famous, evocative Buddha in a tree.
3. This cheerful street is in the Clarke Quay area of Singapore, close to the RiverWalk.
4. Back in the temples of Thailand, this slightly spooky-looking trio is from the UNESCO-listed archaeological park in Ayutthata
5. The MICA building in Singapore.
View this post on Instagram
Once a police station, the neo-classical historic MICA building now houses Singapore's Ministry of Communication and Information, the Ministry of Culture, Community and Youth, as well as various art galleries. Notice the windows with the colourful shutters? There are 927 of them.
6. Hopping over to Vietnam, this is Saigon’s old Notre Dame Cathedral next to the steel-and-glass 21st Century Diamond Plaza
7. Sunset over Koh Samui
8. Two photos vye for 8. place: More Ayutthaya, this little lake is at the Summer Palace …
… and this bike is in the lobby of the Kam Leng hotel in Singapore.
9. The roof of the lovely Sri Veeramakaliamman Temple in Singapore’s Little India
10. How about a romantic row on the river… in a shopping mall. In Singapore, of course.
11. Back in Saigon, this might look like a train station, but is in fact the post office.
…and that concludes this episode of our little Instagrams-of-the-month series.